We wanted everyone to know we have just signed up as a regular advertiser with the SurvivalBlog.com website. It is a fantastic site, with an abundance of self-reliance related content. Please take a moment to visit their site and while you’re there, find our advertisement on the sidebar for a discount code you can use when purchasing Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids.
Tips and Hints For Proper Use of Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids
- Always wash and thoroughly clean lids and rings prior to use. Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids and Rings are dishwasher safe. Never clean lids with bleach of other oxidizing agents or strong acids.
- Read instructions before use and always follow proper USDA recommended canning practices. Improper use can cause seal failure and possible injury due to hot temperatures of canned food products.
- Use standard mason jar metal band when processing. Overtightening of metal bands can cause seal failures due to trapped pressure in the jar.
- Never tighten metal bands on jars with lids that appear convex or “domed”. This is indicative of trapped pressure in the jar which can release and cause severe burns or injury.
- Always exercise extreme caution when removing hot jars from pressure canner or water bath as injury can result. When tightening metal bands after processing, cover jars with a kitchen towel to prevent accidental contact with hot jars or contents.
- Allow canned products to cool for 12-24 hours at room temperature before removing metal bands. During cooling period, ensure jars are not directly under air conditioning vents as this may affect proper cooling and sealing of lids.
- After jars are cool to the touch, remove metal band and gently lift upward on plastic lid to ensure proper seal. Failed seals will lift without any resistance. If a failure occurs, re-process according to USDA approved methods, or consume un-sealed products immediately.
Helpful Hints and other information
- Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids are safe for Pressure Canning, Water Bath, Steam Canning and Fermenting.
- BPA Free and Phthalate Free
- When not being used, store Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids and Rings in a cool dry play, out of direct sunlight.
- Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids are suitable for all home food preservation applications and foods including acid foods such as pickles and tomato products.
- FDA and USDA Approved Materials
- Recommended and safe for use in Pressure Canner, Water Bath, Steam Canning or Fermenting
- DO NOT USE with food products, tinctures or mixtures containing 15% or more alcohol. Do not exceed temperatures of 250 degree F.