Instructions for proper use and storage of Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids
Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids will last forever, and the reusable gaskets have a life-span of 8-10 uses, depending on your applications and storage. By following these instructions, you will ensure the best results and longevity from your lids and gaskets.
- Ensure top of mason jar is free from damage such as cracks or chips.
- Sterilize jars, lids and rubber rings through proper cleaning with soap and hot water. All items are dishwasher safe.
- Sterilize lids and rubber rings by simmering in hot water immediately prior to use.
- Fill jars according to USDA approved canning instructions, leaving ½” to 1” headspace.
- Wipe mason jar top with a clean towel after filling and prior to placing lid/gasket on top of jar.
- Thread metal band onto jar loosely. Ensure lid remains centered on jar and gently apply pressure with one finger while tightening the metal screw band with other hand. Be careful not to tighten the metal band as tight as with traditional metal lids as this will create a seal and not allow pressure to vent properly during processing.
- Pressure can or water bath foods according to USDA approved method for the product being processed.
- After prescribed processing time, carefully remove jars from canner and tighten metal bands securely. USE EXTREME CAUTION as jars will be very hot and can cause injury. If lid is bulging upward, allow 5-10 minutes cooling time before tightening metal band.
- Place a dry towel over jars during cooling. After jars have reached room temperature, remove metal band and lift gently on the lid to ensure proper seal. A properly sealed jar can be lifted by the lid. Broken seals will be easily identified as lids will lift from jar without resistance.
- Store sealed jars without metal band and check jars occasionally to ensure seal remains tight.
- To remove lid, carefully pry underside of lid with a dull object such as a table knife. Use caution not to cut the rubber gasket.
- Thoroughly wash rubber rings and lids, rinse, dry and store for future use. Both are dishwasher safe. Never reuse any rubber gasket that appears damaged or has lost its original shape.
Tips and Hints For Proper Use of Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids
- Always wash and thoroughly clean lids and rings prior to use. Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids and Rings are dishwasher safe. Never clean lids with bleach or other oxidizing agents or strong acids.
- Read instructions before use and always follow proper USDA recommended canning practices. Improper use can cause seal failure and possible injury due to hot temperatures of canned food products.
- Use standard mason jar metal band when processing. Over-tightening of metal bands can cause seal failures due to trapped pressure in the jar.
- Never tighten metal bands on jars with lids that appear convex or “domed”. This is indicative of trapped pressure in the jar which can release and cause severe burns or injury.
- Always exercise extreme caution when removing hot jars from pressure canner or water bath as injury can result. When tightening metal bands after processing, cover jars with a kitchen towel to prevent accidental contact with hot jars or contents.
- Allow canned products to cool for 12-24 hours at room temperature before removing metal bands. During cooling period, ensure jars are not directly under air conditioning vents as this may affect proper cooling and sealing of lids.
- After jars are cool to the touch, remove metal band and gently lift upward on plastic lid to ensure proper seal. Failed seals will lift without any resistance. If a failure occurs, re-process according to USDA approved methods, or consume unsealed products immediately.
Helpful Hints and other information
- Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids are safe for Pressure Canning, Water Bath, Steam Canning and Fermenting.
- BPA Free and Phthalate Free
- When not being used, store Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids and Rings in a cool dry play, out of direct sunlight.
- Harvest Guard Reusable Canning Lids are suitable for all home food preservation applications and foods including acid foods such as pickles and tomato products.
- FDA and USDA Approved Materials
- Recommended and safe for use in Pressure Canner, Water Bath, Steam Canning or Fermenting
- DO NOT USE with food products, tinctures or mixtures containing 15% or more alcohol. Do not exceed temperatures of 250 degrees F.